- To give pupils a coherent overview of time, place, people and events in world history so that they may appreciate and understand that their life today in Britain is affected by ideas, people and events from the past.
- To provide a breadth of historical time periods and people to study so as to give pupils an overview of world history
- To ignite curiosity by using historical evidence to critically investigate and interpret the past
- To develop a chronological framework for learning about life in past times
- To develop pupils’ skills as historians to research, discover and use the language of the past