The children above are our Leadership Academy 'Graduates' for this academic year - they will be improving and enhancing school sport this year (and making sure everyone is doing a great job!)
The scheme we use is called 'Beyond the Physical' - a series of Learning Themes that are specially-designed units of work linked to the PE National Curriculum. The scheme has been written by a team of highly qualified PE practioners, passionate about PE and other as related aspects such as social skills and mental health. All of the units that we are delivering embrace the 'Power of Three' model to engage the children, build teamwork and encourage innovation.
Here at Moss Park Primary School we believe that physical education, experienced in a safe, engaging and supportive environment, is a significant factor in developing children’s physical competence and confidence, team work and social skills.
We promote physical skillfulness, physical development and knowledge of the body in action. We aim to give a stimulating, enjoyable and appropriately challenging learning experience. Children may work as individuals, be paired-off or take part in group activities. During co-operative, creative and competitive situations they are encouraged to use their improvisation and problem-solving skills.
All children have 2 hours P.E time provided per week alongside an extensive range of extra-curricular sporting activities and a promotion of competitive sports through the Trafford School Sport Partnership.
P.E lessons throughout the year include: Team Sports, Racket Sports, Athletics, Dance and Gymnastics.
Extra-Curricular P.E activities include: Cross Country, Football, Cricket, Racket Sports, Multi skills and Basketball
Through our Physical Education offer we aim to enable children to:
- Be confident and competent in a range of physical activities
- Understand how physical activity, fitness and long term health are related
- Work as an individual, in a group or as part of a team
- Plan, practice, perform and evaluate work to improve physical performance
- Understand what is a safe activity and consider the safety of those around them
- Perform the activity to the best of their ability and feel proud of their accomplishments
- Have a positive attitude to physical education and enjoy participating
At Moss Park, we ensure the following:
- All children receiving 2 hours of high quality Physical Education each week regardless of the weather or other external factors
- A commitment that all children are active. Spare kit in each class means no children misses PE
- Inclusivity by putting support for children with SEND in line with other subjects and having an "Everyone can achieve, everyone can succeed" approach
- That children unable to take part are included by involving them in activities related to the lesson e.g. umpiring
- A range of teaching styles and strategies to deliver the curriculum
- Children compete with each other and work together different e.g. Y6 v Y4 or within House Teams across year groups to develop skills, knowledge and behaviours