We use the White Rose Maths scheme, as a basis for our teaching, alongside the National Curriculum. Problem solving, fluency and relational understanding are at the heart of the scheme.It uses the Concrete Pictorial Abstract (CPA) approach and allows pupils to spend enough time to fully explore a topic, reinforcing it with practice, before moving onto the next one. All ideas are built on previous knowledge and pupils have ample opportunity to develop relationships between topics.
Lessons typically are broken into five parts:
- Daily review - children recap and recall prior learning using ‘Flashback 4’
- Model – the teacher introduces and explains the new learning for the lesson.
- Guided Practice – children practice new learning in groups, pairs or individually guided by the teacher using concrete examples and resources.
- Independent Practice – practice on your own. Once children have mastered the concept they use their reasoning and problem-solving skills to develop their depth of learning.
- Check for understanding - Challenge and review (typically involving abstract activities)
We have aligned our weekly planning proforma and principles with Rosenshines Principles of Instruction in order to aid and maximise the retrieval of concepts taught, through the way in which we; guide, model and scaffold our teaching.
We recognise the importance of developing a love of learning and a love of Maths, creating independent and resilient learners. We endeavour to provide opportunities for learning to occur beyond the classroom, making use of our outdoor environment.
- We use Times Tables Rockstars as a tool to help pupils develop fluency in multiplication tables.
- Numbots to improve fluency and basic skills
- For homework KS2 children use MyMaths weekly website to practise previously learnt maths knowledge and skills.
- We use Classroom secrets to enable our children to develop their reasoning and problem solving and not only to understand these concepts in Maths but to master them.
- We use Testbase exam style questions to consolidate learning in a consistent way across the school. Through the use of Test base and the use of our weekly Arithmetic tests ensure that gaps can be identified and basic skills are fully embedded for all ability groups.
- As part of our mission to enable every child to succeed, we provide Interventions and Pre teaching, which is placed at the heart of our pedagogy. Some of our children with SEND have individual IEP targets which fall under the category of Cognition and Learning
We provide children with the opportunity to use a wide range of manipulatives (base 10, numicon, counters, multilink, number lines, counters), this allows children to work in a practical way, which builds their confidence and has a positive impact on their attitude towards learning whist plugging gaps from the infant school and loss of learning due to Covid 19.